Friday, October 21, 2011

syncline hike

Over the past several years I've heard plenty of friends mention Syncline for mountain biking, but I didn't really know where they were talking about, and it never occurred to me that people hike the same trails that they were biking. So last weekend, when the opportunity arose, I jumped at the chance to go for a hike with some friends out along Coyote Wall, or Syncline, which runs along the Washington side of the Columbia River. Even though we got a cloudy day, the views were a treat, and it was great to finally check out an area that I've heard so much about.


The Columbia River Gorge... stunning!
Sean, riding the trails at Syncline while we hiked.

I think it's pretty amazing that if you stand at the top of Coyote Wall and look to your left you see what is pictured above, but if you took around, you see what is shown below. From open grassland, to a super steep rocky cliff, to evergreen trees in a few hundred feet. God, I love this area! Maybe next spring I'll give some of the trails up here a go on my mountain bike... the mellow fire lanes and fun downhill well clear of the cliff!

Coyote Wall
Hiking buddies, Danika, Kate, Ben and Jackson (where was Jen?)

The trail runs REALLY close to the edge of the cliff (as you can see behind Ben), and there is a small memorial just a few yards away from where the group is standing as a memorial to a mountain biker that fell to his death while biking there.


Not bad for a cloudy day, but normally Mt. Hood would be in the distance.
Kate took my, "Look at me, I'm sporty!" picture for my Match profile.

No comments:

Post a Comment