Sunday, October 16, 2011

short sands

I've been meaning to get out to the coast all summer, and a few weeks ago I finally make the drive to Short Sands Beach to spend the afternoon relaxing with Gus. I really needed to clear my head, and the sound of crashing waves seems to do the trick wonderfully. Beyond that, watching Gus play in the waves and sprint down the beach brings a smile to my face, and I'm always impressed by the rugged beauty of the Oregon Coast.

Very happy beach puppy, Gus
Gus, splashing in the surf
Gus on a full sprint back towards me.
Beautiful color variation in the rock.
Such great texture and color on the beach.

For late September, it was oddly warm and not too windy, but the ocean was definitely angry that day. The waves where big and seemed especially loud as they rolled in that afternoon. My mellow day at the coast took a turn for the serious, when later in the afternoon a surfer drowned there at Short Sands. Watching about a dozen guys trying to get him back to shore, and then perform CPR for an hour was incredibly surreal. By the time the Coast Guard helicopter landed on the beach over an hour later I knew the guy was gone. It was awful, but a strong reminder of that surfs power, and how incredibly fleeting life can be.

Coast Guard helicopter

No comments:

Post a Comment