Thursday, August 18, 2011

making the pilgramage to nyc

I just got back from NYC, where I was at a huge trade show, the New York International Gift Fair, buying for Red Sail. After two days of walking the show I had some free time, so I headed out to Brooklyn to visit my friend Sheila, owner of POP, a clothing boutique in Williamsburg, and then over to Carroll Gardens for my annual pilgrimage to Court Pastry Shop. My family has eaten cookies from Court Pastries for as long as I can remember. My dad grew up down the street from the shop, and my grandmother used to bring the iconic boxes filled with cookies to every holiday gathering. When she passed away, my whole extended family mobbed the place right after her funeral at Green-Wood Cemetery in Brooklyn, and for my mom, dad, sister and me the smell of the bakery brings back some really powerful memories.

My cookie mecca.
Just a few of my favorites.
The way they tie up the box makes it nearly impossible to sneak a cookie out!

Those cookies were a great treat after a really tiring two days at the show. The NYIGF is massive, with 35000 buyers walking (and sometimes shoving) their way through nearly 3000 vendor stalls laid out over more than 800000 SF of exhibit space at the Javits Center and Piers 92 and 94. The first year I went I was totally overwhelmed, but now I have it down to a science to minimize sore feet, knees, and shoulders (you end up carrying A LOT of catalogs) at the end of the day. I ordered some really great merchandise for Red Sail that should be arriving over then next three months, so be sure to check the website out for all the goodies this fall!

This is image shows maybe 1/20 of the entire show...

No comments:

Post a Comment